Even though women have used rose water as part of their beauty routine for thousands of years, it might not be on your radar. It wasn’t on mine until a woman in a small shop in Istanbul convinced me to give it a try. She had lovely skin, and I thought it smelled quite nice. Little did I know that rose water would be a game-changer for keeping my skin beautiful and radiant. Cleopatra was right! Rose water is the ancient beauty secret for glowing skin.
This post is about rose water. Discover some amazing products and how to incorporate rose water into your daily skincare routine for your best, most glowy skin ever!
But first, a few fascinating facts about roses
- Roses are one of the oldest flowers, with fossil evidence dating back 35 million years.
- Rosa Damascena, also known as the Damask Rose, is a hybrid born by chance in Central Asia some 7,000 years ago.
- Wonderfully fragrant, Rosa Damascena is used to make fine perfumes and beauty products like rose water and rose oil.
- Cleopatra was famous for her glowing skin and bathed in rose water and milk honey.
- Today, the world’s two main growing regions for Rosa Damascena are in the southwestern province of Isparta in Türkiye. And south of the Balkan mountains in the Rose Valley of Bulgaria.
Rose water for gorgeous glowing skin:
- HYDRATING TONER: Use rose water as the first step in your routine after cleansing. Rose water improves your skin’s hydration, prepping it for better absorption of your serums and moisturizers.
- MIST TO SET & REHYDRATE: Give your face a misting as the final step to set your makeup or give your look a midday hydration boost.
- FRAGRANT SPRIZ TO ENHANCE MOOD: The rosy scent is uplifting and known to help relax the mind and body. It’s especially divine kept in the frig for a cooling spritz on a summer’s day.
my skin after using Rose Water for a year
Over the past year, I’ve experimented with SIX different rose water brands. Not only did I find my favourites, but I’m totally loving my skin. One of my best friends, who’s known me since high school, complimented me by saying, “What are you doing? Your skin has never looked better. I want to get your glow.” I couldn’t help but smile, for I had discovered the ancient beauty secret for glowing skin.
Until recently, I never truly understood the value of using a toner. I thought it was an unnecessary step and cost. And I only bought my first bottle of rose water because I liked the smell. But that lovely, rosy scent was enough to get me using rose water, morning and night, as a hydrating toner. I had zero expectations, but within a month, I started liking what I was seeing in the mirror. My skin was more hydrated. It looked smoother, brighter and more glowy. This past winter, I suffered less from dry skin. And I truly believe that my retin-A and serums are working better than ever before.
3 Rose Water products for Glowing skin
Gülsha ultimate Rosewater
Gülsha is a female-led Turkish brand that has made rose-based beauty products since 1965. Gülsha’s Ultimate Rosewater is 100% natural and promises radiant skin. Gülsha hand-harvests their Rosa Damascena roses at dawn in Isparta Türkiye every May. And then transforms them through an exclusive distillation process.
Unlike traditional methods, Gülsha doesn’t separate the essential rose oil from the rose water. This makes their Ultimate Rosewater more nourishing because it contains all of the vitamins, minerals and fatty acids found in the Rosa Damascena blossoms. Sold in a brown glass bottle, it’s labelled with an expiration date, batch and lot number for quality assurance.
Heritage Store RoseWater & Glycerin
Heritage Store is an American brand. Their best-selling rose water is just Rosa Damascena from Bulgaria and their trademark Vor-Mag Water, which has been vortexed and magnetized to raise its vibration.
Their original rose water has a lovely rosy scent, comes in a pretty pink bottle and claims to refresh, set, hydrate and uplift. I especially love their Rose Water with Glycerin and spritz it in my hair when doing overnight heatless curls. And their Rose Oil Nourishing Treatment is a regular visitor in my Amazon cart.
Otaci Rose Passion 100% Natural Rose Water Hydrating Tonic
Another Turkish brand since 1955, Otaci rose water, has only two ingredients: roses and water. It’s 100% natural, made from Rosa Damascena grown in Isparta, Turkiye. It has clear labelling of what’s NOT included; NO colourants, synthetic essences/perfumes, paraben, silicon or minimal oils. Plus, it’s cruelty-free and vegan.
Rose Passion by Otaci has a mild rose scent and is sold in a convenient plastic squeeze bottle that allows you to control how much you use.
Otaci is sold on Amazon, but it is much cheaper if you can buy it while on vacation in Istanbul.
While all three rose waters mentioned can be purchased online, bringing back a bottle of this ancient beauty secret for glowing skin from Türkiye is a lovely souvenir. If you want to discover what else to buy when visiting Istanbul, check out this post: 21 Incredible Turkish Souvenirs to Buy in Istanbul.